Monday, April 19, 2010

Thai Food in Shaw Centre opp Suntec

On 17 Apr 10, Mark recommended me this Thai restaurant - Ah Loy in Shaw Centre. I was also told that they have a branch in Siglap. It's near Ah Yit Seafood Restaurant on 1st floor. It shouldn't be too difficult to find if you have been there before.


We reached at 12 noon and was told by the boss of the restaurant that they would only open an hour later. The hour seemed to take forever as the building lacked of shopping spots. I was already impatient and hungry since I did not have any breakfast. At 1.03pm, I became pissed when we were told that the chef and cashier has not arrived at work. HOW can the boss let that happen?!!! The restaurant was supposed to open at 1pm! I was already giving it a rating of 0 out of 5 for Service before I was served by anyone. It was a bad start and I was warning Mark that the food they are going to serve better be worth all the waiting. Here's what the 2 hungry monsters ordered for about 25 bucks for 1st round:


Green Curry, Tom Yam Soup, Mango Salad, Pad Thai, Traditional Thai Red Milk Tea and Homemade Lemon Grass Drink which is missing from the picture.

Below are some close ups:


Tom Yam Soup: I found it quite like tomatoe soup. But Mark loves it.

Pad Thai: I think Thai Express's is better. But it looks good doesn't it? We took about 1/4 of it before we remembered to take a photo of it.


Green Curry: Pretty much similar to my cooking. But lacked of fishballs and chicken. Suitable for one person though.


My Oh My! Don't be deceived by how harmless the mango salad looks. There are so many chili padi slices hidden that I drank a full cup of water with every scoop. I found the tom yam soup and green curry harmless. Beware if you are alread threatened by the tom yam soup and green curry like Mark. He had barely 2 or 3 stripes of it. muahaha... The handmade steamed fish cake came much later. Taken with he peppermint leaves and onions, it reminded me of Pho Bo I had in Hanoi.




Overall, I would say that the food is still recommendable. Not too pricey. For taste, I give it 3.5/5. The restuarant is rather small. But it seemed to be a very popular place. May be that's why the chef and cashier are so spoilt.



No comments:

Post a Comment